The MindCare Dementia Skills team is offering two, free dementia courses to:
- anyone living or working in Bromley, who has an interest in dementia
- is not receiving other MindCare training as family carers or Extra Care Housing staff,
- and has completed an Understanding Dementia course with MindCare.
Behaviours We Find Difficult in Dementia Care
Thursday 27th September 2018
- Defining behaviours that care providers can find challenging.
- Emotions, logic, reason and reactions that lead to behaviour we find difficult.
- Understanding a person’s behaviour in the context of their reality living with dementia.
- Behaviour as communication.
- Developing more positive ways to best meet the care needs of the person with dementia.
Successful Communication in Dementia Care
Thursday 22nd November 2018
- How we communicate with each other.
- The importance of good communication.
- How reminiscence can enhance communication.
- How the memory works in relation to communication in dementia care.
- How people react to certain situations and that a person with dementia reacts in the same way as a person without dementia.
- How a person’s life history and personality impacts their communication.
- What it feels like to have communication difficulties.
- Barriers to effective communication.
- How changing our communication techniques can change the behaviour of the other person.
- How a person expresses their emotions through their behaviour.
- All behaviour as communication.
- Communicating more effectively with a person with dementia, acknowledging feelings and life history.
Location and Times
All courses take place at Bromley, Lewisham & Greenwich Mind, 20b Hayne Road, Beckenham BR3 4HY and take place from 9.30am to 4pm.
How to Book
Please be aware that places are limited and sessions do tend to fill up quickly.
A charge of £50 will be incurred for non-attendance if a place has been booked and no notice given.
If you would like to book a place, please telephone (020 3328 0360) or email using the form below:
News by Email